Friday, September 11, 2009

Journal #8

I have not exactly picked a specific college that I have a burning desire to attend. But I do know that I want to stay on the West Coast, in states like California and Washington, and possibly up north in Canada. Some colleges I've been looking at are UW (university of Washington) and Art Institute. I really enjoy both of these areas of the US and I love both of these campuses. At, UW I've been thinking about going into bussiness and getting a marketing degree, then going to arts school to study graphic design. Preparing for college means writing the infamous college essay. Looking at the college essays in class helped think about the college essay in a different way. Yes, in these essays you are suppose to state your achievements but also you have to stand out from the rest of the pack. For the Arts Institute I couldn't really find a specific essay topic for application. Just to state your achievements and to provide a portfolio of your work. As for UW the essay topics change every year. But one essay topic I've found is this: If you were required to "unplug" for one year, describe the influence this would have in your life, your anticipated reaction, reactions of others in your life, and how you might change after your "unplugged" experience. "Unplugged" means no computers or other technology such as cell phones. Making my college essay great makes all the difference for my college application. Also I have found another interesting topic for USC; Newton’s First Law of Motion states that an object in motion tends to stay in motion in the same direction unless acted upon by an external force. Tell us about an external influence (a person, an event, etc.) that affected you and how it caused you to change direction.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angela,
    Thoughtful expoloration of where you'd like to go and what you'd like to do after high school :)
    The topic for UW is an interesting one, definitely requires you to think "out of the box."
    You may also want to consult Mrs. Mau about possible essay topics as she's had many students apply to West Coast schools.
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete