Wednesday, September 16, 2009

College essay draft-Living "Unplugged"- UW essay topic

I feel like I'm in a bad reality show. You know, one of those ones where you have to play a game to get money, or do something totally stupid to get half a million dollars. The living room seems as if a big hole has been punched through it, now that the TV is gone. Dust bunnies, and cob webs finally see daylight after years of collecting behind a flat screen tv. In the family room, two walls once flanked by our mac and PC, are gone it's nothing but a empty space now. I feel like I'm living in a cave, cut off from the rest of society, unplugged from my outlet to a modern day life.
Living unplugged has been a challenge, especially in this technologically advanced world we live in. We've been so consumed by texting, myspace, youtube, and facebook. It is nearly impossible for me to go a day without watching TV or going on the computer. It's become a way of life. Giving up my lifestyle for a year has not been easy. The initial reaction from people was "Are you serious?!?", and you can tell I haven't been taken seriously on my commitment to being "unplugged" for a year. I don't blame them for thinking that about my situation, most teenagers can't do it for a year let a alone one week. Even I thought there was no hope for me in this situation. But life has become much simpler, I don't have to worry about missing Project Runway or Glee, or I don't have to think about getting back to people's texts and comments on facebook and youtube. I have been able to talk to my family without an interrupting phone call or text message. I've grown closer to them, now that we've had no other choice than to find entertainment in each other. There has been a lot of quiet time where I could just sit down and reflect on myself and figure out who I really am now that all of the distractions entering my life through my outlet to the modern day world have been cut off. I feel like the little kid I was in those old home movies again. Playing board games, and riding my bike with my little sister as if we were both 5 years old again.
I guess living a year unplugged has exposed me to myself. I've been able to complete my journey to self discovery after this one year of being unplugged. No distractions or anything to influence my train of thought, I was forced to listen to my own thoughts and no one else. It was scary but it was worth it. Worth it to become closer with my family, and worth it to bring out the true Angela Valdez. Sometimes simplicity is all it takes bring complexity to your life.
** Note: This was written in the perspective that I actually did live "unplugged" for a year. I wrote on how I'd assume thinks would be like.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Angela! (:
    I really like your essay, i thought i was so clean & smooth about the whole technology lifestyle. Same for me, i cant a day without watching t.v or mostly going on the computer. I really see through your essay, & i really see that your seeking your future as well. Whatever ever college you go to, you'll do good.

    -Micah Beeeeeeeeeeeeee! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yooo Angela !! :)
    Great job on your post !
    I enjoyed reading about your ideas and thoughts. As i was reading your essay, i could actually put myself in your shoes because i could easily understand your point. Plus it was really interesting to read because of your excellent word choice and sentence fluency.
    Other than that i see no grammer errors and fragments.
    Maybe including the topic sentence at the top would be helpful so the reader would know what you're trying to get at.
    Good job again !

    xox,
    daphne-jayne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angela,
    I echo the comments of Micah and Daphne...very smoothly written. Interesting topic and response. Good specific details to describe your physical "space" now that it has become "unplugged."
    What I'd recommend is to add in some of the insights you achieved by being unplugged...not a lot, but a couple of very specific "ah-hahs" about yourself and your family to show how something like this would affect the person you are...what you would value about something like this.
    And a comment on the idiom: most teenagers can't do it for a year let a alone one week.

    It's actually the opposite structure "most teenages can't do it for one week, let alone a year."

    nice job...
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete